We all knew ocean covers nearly 70% of the earth and we share the rest with them and we have found only a fraction of them down the ocean. We have filtered a few of the Interesting facts about ocean. Let’s see how much you already knew.
Did you know ?
The Great Barrier Reef is the biggest structure on the earth measuring 2,600 km. It is said that we can see them from the Moon.
Biggest Waterfall on the Ocean
Do you know that the biggest waterfall is on the ocean? Crazy right? This is also one of the interesting facts about ocean.
- Angel Falls in Venezuela, height about 979 meters, and plunge of 807meters.
- Angel Falls is said to be Three times of Eiffel Tower, France.
- It also creates its own weather and around a certain radius, people can feel the mist on their skin.
The Mariana Trench
- The Mariana Trench is located in the western Pacific Ocean about 200 kilometers east of the Mariana Islands; it is the deepest oceanic trench on Earth.
- It is crescent-shaped and measures about 2,550 km in length and 69 km in width
- Many adventurous travelers had climbed Mount Everest. But only two people have descendant to the ocean’s deepest point one of them was James Cameron.
The Pacific Ocean (The Largest Ocean in the world)
Did you know?
The Pacific Ocean is wider than the moon (i.e) it spread across 12,300 km which is more than five times the diameter of the moon. If you could pull all the land surfaces together still the Pacific Ocean would be larger.
- Pacific triggers some of the strongest Hurricanes than the rest.
- The Pacific Basin also called “Ring Of Fire” because of the earthquake and volcanic activities around the edges.
The Internet Ocean
- This is also one of the most interesting facts about ocean. Most surfing you do on the internet comes from underwater.
- About 99% of data are transferred through the labyrinth of cables on the floor of the ocean. Some are shark-proof even.
- “People think that data is in the cloud, but it’s not,” said Jayne Stowell, who oversees construction of Google’s undersea cable projects. “It’s in the ocean.”
Ocean says "NO" to Petting Tropical Fishes
- Petting Tropical fishes like long fins or Mr. Nemo (Clown Fish) could be beautiful but Fishing uses Sodium cyanide to populate them at the top for easy catching which kills other fishes and coral reefs.
Antifreeze weapons for fishes in Antarctica
- We always wondered how fish live in such a climate and always wondered about hypothermia. But, fishes that live in Antarctica has an Antifreeze protein along with normal body salts depress the Freeze.
- But it is found that the researchers funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) report: The protein-bound ice crystals that accumulate inside their bodies resist melting even when temperatures warm.
Most of the volcanic eruptions occur inside the oceans
- Most volcanoes form along plate boundaries. The Pacific Ring of Fire is where the majority of the volcanic activity on the Earth occurs. It is the home for 70% of the world’s majority volcano.
- The plates inside the oceans constantly collide, move above or below with one another which results in volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, and ocean trenches.
The ocean is a mass producer of Oxygen
- Scientists believe that phytoplankton produces nearly 50-85% of the oxygen that we breathe.
- phytoplankton are microscopic organisms that live in watery environments, both salty and fresh. Some phytoplankton is bacteria most are single-celled plants.
Titanic Vs SS Rio Grande
- Titanic isn’t the biggest shipwreck that happened. A German ship SS Rio Grande which was sunk in the world War-2 in the Atlantic Ocean. It sits approximately 5,762 miles below the ocean surface.
- People gave crazy ideas about pulling up Titanic to the shore. Some of them are filling up the ship with ping pong balls or petroleum Jelly, getting the biggest magnet and pull the ship.
Exploring Ocean is tougher
- We didn’t even explore the ocean until 1973 whereas Neil Armstrong stepped into the moon in 1969.
- It is easier to go to space than in the ocean because of its vast coverage around the world.
- It is also said that the pressure under the ocean is so high that it can crush you like an ant.
” It is a curious situation that the sea, from which life first arose, should now be threatened by the activities of one form of that life. But the sea, though changed in a sinister way, will continue to exist: the threat is rather to life itself. “
– Rachel Carson, Marine Biologist